« « Back

Name Official number Flag IMO
STORM COCK  87932  GBR   
Year built Date launched Date completed
1884  07/12/1883  02/1884 
Vessel type Vessel description
Tug Salvage  Iron Screw Steamer  
Builder Yard Yard no
McIntyre & Co, Paisley Phoenix Works  103 
 

Tonnage Length Breadth Depth Draft
364 grt / 135 nrt / 161.0 ft  24.6 ft  12.6 ft   
Engine builder James Howden & Co., Glasgow
Engine detail
Twin C2cyl 25"46"x30" 250nhp 1120/1200ihp 12kn 2-screw 

First owner First port of register Registration date
William Becket Hill & others (Liverpool Screw Towing Co), Liverpool  Liverpool  07/02/1884 
Other names
1885 HMS TRAVELLER - 1920 STORM COCK - 1920 BULLGER 
Subsequent owner and registration history
5/1885 The Admiralty, London - unreg
1920 Crichton Thompson & Co Ltd, London
1920 Leith Salvage & Towing Co Ltd - mng J Little & Co Ltd, Leith - reg Leith 
Vessel history
Subcontract from James Howden & Co, Glasgow
1/2/1884 trials
6/3/1884 seriously damaged above waterline in collision near Pladda Light, Firth of Clyde, with schooner J M STEVENS (Ardrossan for Dublin with coal), which sank. STORM COCK was towing disabled ship EARL OF BEACONSFIELD and was later repaired. STORM COCK later found to blame.
22/4/1885 Purchased by the Admiralty, commissioned as HMS TRAVELLER and used as a Fleet Tug W80
1917 Rescue Tug 
Remarks
1920 404grt 80nrt; 1923 405grt 77nrt 
End year Fate / Status
1934  Wrecked 28/01/1934 
Disposal Detail
28/1/1934 stranded off Anstruther Harbour while assisting the stranded Trawler Roseberry and declared a total loss. She sank right at the end of the East Pier and thereby created a major hazard for the Herring fleet for the rest of the year

 
 

 



« « Back