« « Back

Name Official number Flag IMO
LORD OF THE ISLES  76786  GBR   
Year built Date launched Date completed
1877  30/05/1877   
Vessel type Vessel description
Passenger Excursion  Iron Paddle Steamer  
Builder Yard Yard no
D & W Henderson & Co., Glasgow Meadowside  181 
 

Tonnage Length Breadth Depth Draft
384 grt / 164 nrt / 246.0 ft  24.2 ft  9.0 ft   
Engine builder D & W Henderson & Co., Glasgow
Engine detail
2cyl diagonal oscillating (46, 46 & 66in) 326nhp

1886 reboilered 

First owner First port of register Registration date
William McClure (Greenock), William Maclean (Glasgow) and Thomas Seath & William Clark (Rutherglen) (Glasgow & Inveraray Steamboat Co, Glasgow)  Glasgow  21/07/1877 
Other names
1898 JUPITER - 1903 LADY OF THE ISLES 
Subsequent owner and registration history
9/1890 Victoria Steam Boat Association Ltd, London - mng Edgar Shand - reg London (1891)
1896 Catherine & Peter Blair Black, London
1900 Alfred Tolhurt, Northfleet
1900 Peter Blair Black, London
1903 Edward P Barrett, London
5/1903 Andrew D Reid, Glasgow and George P E Childs, London (Isles Steamship Co, Glasgow)
3/1905 Samuel Galbraith, Glasgow 
Vessel history
2/7/1877 began daily service from the Greenock to Inveraray.
1878 commenced extended trips to Loch Fyne to see the "monster blast". Visitors who wished to do so were invited to land at Crarae pier and inspect the quarry after the explosion. Many were overcome by the fumes of the gunpowder and seven people died from the effects of the poisonous gases.

1881 began Glasgow-Inveraray summer sailings
c1881 384grt 106nrt; 1891 451grt 169nrt
5/1891 after refit on the Clyde, commenced London-Southend-Clacton-Harwich service
5/1900 for sale
8/1902 sailing from Southampton for Fleet Review, but still for sale
5/1903 on Glasgow-Kyles of Bute service
22/8/1903 engine broke down off Greenock, outward bound. Laid up.
1/1905 for sale at auction but no bidders 
Remarks
Reportedly the first excursion steamer fitted with electric light.  
End year Fate / Status
1905  Broken Up  
Disposal Detail
9/1905 broken up at Dumbarton (possibly by Samuel Galbraith, iron merchant) 
 

 



« « Back