Laid down in 1941 originally as BELLEROPHON but renamed TIGER in 1945. Laid up at Dalmuir from 1946 until 1954 when construction resumed to a revised design as the name ship of the new Tiger Class. She served in the Far East in the early 1960s during the Indonesian Crisis and also in 1966 was the platform for talks between the UK and Rhodesian Prime Ministers after the latter declared independence from Britain over the removal of white rule. Between 1968 and 1972 she underwent a major conversion at Devonport to become a Helicopter and Command Cruiser. Her after turrets were replaced by a flight deck and hangar being recommissioned during that year. She took part in the 1977 Silver Jubilee Fleet Review at Spithead. In 1978 she was moored at Chatham for the Reserve Fleet. In 1982 a reactivication took place as a result of the Falklands Crisis but it was terminated as she was not ready by the time of the Argentinian surrender. She later was moored at Portsmouth. In 1986 she was finally towed to Spain for breaking up.
Fate / Status
Broken Up 28/09/1986
Broken up at Castellon.
Jubilee Fleet Review
Image courtesy of : Dennis Maccoy