« « Back

Name Official number Flag IMO
BUENOS AYRES  20547  GBR   
Year built Date launched Date completed
1857  04/12/1857   
Vessel type Vessel description
River Steamer Passenger/Cargo  Iron Paddle Steamer 2 masts Schooner
Builder Yard Yard no
Blackwood & Gordon, Paisley Cartvale SB Yard   
 

Tonnage Length Breadth Depth Draft
94 grt / 59 nrt / 103.0 ft  19.3 ft  7.0 ft   
Engine builder Blackwood & Gordon, Paisley
Engine detail
2cyl 60nhp 8-9kn 

First owner First port of register Registration date
Messrs Rodger, Liverpool  Liverpool  31/12/1857 
Other names
1858 BUENOS AIRES 
Subsequent owner and registration history
1858 Bert y Hermanos, Buenos Aires - Buenos Aires flag
1858 Buenos Aires Navy
1860 Esteban Señorans, Buenos Aires
1861 Argentine flag
1863 Argentine Navy 
Vessel history
1/1858 left Clyde for River Plate under sail, with engine dismantled and carried in the hold
25/1/1858 towed into Milford Haven, leaking after part of false keel knocked away.
24/4/1858 arrived Buenos Aires - engines fitted at Riachuelo
1858 at Buenos Aires: 100t(displ?) 34.3 x 6.30 x 2.75m (draught 1.1m)
1858 taken up by Buenos Aires Navy and armed with two canon and two swivel-guns; patrolled rivers Uruguay and Paraná (the State of Buenos Aires had seceded from the Argentine Confederation in 1852).
5/1859 participated in the blockade and bombardment of Rosario. Later retreated to Buenos Aires after the Battle of Cepeda
1863 requisitioned by the Argentine Navy to serve as a transport in the Paraguay Wars; involved in the recovery of the city of Corrientes and the Battle of Itapirú; in 1866 served at Paso de la Patria
1/2/1867 sank after collision with British steamer GUARANI (320g/1865 Harland & Wolff, Belfast) and later raised
1868 in service at surrender at Boca de Riachuelo
1870 involved in suppression of the Jordanista Rebellion at Entre Rios. 
Remarks
 
End year Fate / Status
1870  Fire 25/01/1870 
Disposal Detail
Fire broke out while carrying 750 troops - all were saved and landed on Isla del Vizcaíno. Ship was destroyed and remains sold at public auction 
 

 



« « Back