« « Back

Name Official number Flag IMO
SIR COLIN CAMPBELL  22895  GBR   
Year built Date launched Date completed
1855  1855   
Vessel type Vessel description
Passenger / Cargo   Iron Paddle Steamer  
Builder Yard Yard no
John Barr, Glasgow Kelvinhaugh   
 

Tonnage Length Breadth Depth Draft
119 grt / 65 nrt / 166.7 ft  17.5 ft  7.1 ft   
Engine builder ,
Engine detail
1 Steeple Engine David Napier's patent principle. 

First owner First port of register Registration date
John Barr, Glasgow  Glasgow  01/10/1855 
Other names
 
Subsequent owner and registration history
1856 Owners, Henry E. Smith, Henry Curtis and John Watkinson.
1867 sold to a Portugese company & Glasgow register closed 1868.
British register closed 29-01-1868.  
Vessel history

Licensed, when clear of cargo to carry 654 passengers above Dunoon and Skipness and 349 ditto, when plying below the above places. The steerage is 18 feet 4 inches in length. Fore cabin, 13 feet 6 inches commodious and comfortably fitted up. The cabin saloon is 31 feet long, the seats are of crimson velvet and has a large lady's cabin both tastefully fitted with the usual requisites, &c. The vessel is steered upon the hurricane-deck by the ordinary steering-wheel, the connexion between the two rudders is simple and efficient. This is the first steamer that has been fitted with the double rudder to ply on the Clyde for which purpose it is well adapted having no necessity for putting about as the other steamers have to do.   Artizan Magazine November 1855

After two years on the Clyde Sir Colin Campbell moved to Hull where she was operated by the South Yorkshire Railway on passenger service from Bridlington to Scarborough and Whitby. By 1865 she was plying between Hull and Grimsby for the Gainsborough Steam Packet Company.

 
Remarks
 
End year Fate / Status
    
Disposal Detail
 
 

 



« « Back