« « Back

Name Official number Flag IMO
GLENAPP  141887  GBR   
Year built Date launched Date completed
1918  16/03/1918  09/1918 
Vessel type Vessel description
Passenger / Cargo   Steel Motor Vessel 2 Masts 
Builder Yard Yard no
Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow Clydeholm Yard  519 
 

Tonnage Length Breadth Depth Draft
7938 grt / 4623 nrt / 450.5 ft  55.8 ft  35.6 ft   
Engine builder Harland & Wolff Ltd., Govan
Engine detail
2-Screw Oil 4SCSA 2x8cyl (750 x 1100mm), speed 14 knots  

First owner First port of register Registration date
Glen Line Ltd., Glasgow  Glasgow  09/09/1918 
Other names
28/10/1921 ABA - 08/09/1947 MATRONA 
Subsequent owner and registration history
05/08/1920 British & African Steam Navigation Co. (Elder, Dempster), Liverpool
12/10/1920 Registered at Liverpool
23/05/1933 Elder Dempster Lines Ltd., Liverpool
09/1939 Admiralty requisition (as hospital ship)
07/01/1947 returned to owners
28/04/1947 Bawtry S.S. Co (George J.Livanos), London
 
Vessel history
laid down for the Imperial Russian Government.
05/08/1920 Sold to British and African Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. (Elder, Dempster and Co. Ltd., managers), Liverpool for rebuilding as passenger liner.
11/1921 Entered service. 7,937g 4,596n; 225 first class, and 140 second and third class passengers.
08/1922 Towed disabled Portuguese destroyer GUADIANA to Las Palmas.
05/12/1929 Steering gear disabled in storm off Ireland. Towed into Queenstown by salvage tug ZWARTE ZEE.
04/06/1931 Grounded off Customs Wharf, Lagos, but later refloated.
17/05/1941 Bombed and damaged by German aircraft 50 miles south of Crete.
15/03/1944 Bombed and damaged by German aircraft at Naples, with the loss of three lives.
31/10/1947 capsized in Bidston Dock when her ballast was removed while being converted to the emigrant carrier MATRONA
08/06/1948 Righted but declared beyond repair and sold for scrap. 
Remarks
 
End year Fate / Status
1948  Broken Up 04/10/1948 
Disposal Detail
04/10/1948: Arrived at Barrow-in-Furness for demolition by T.W. Ward Ltd., Sheffield
24/01/1952 Register closed.
 
 

 



« « Back